Improving guardianship standards together
As the only independent body offering guardianship accreditation in the UK, we set the standards for exceptional guardianship.
By bringing guardianship organisations, schools and parents together, we work with you to ensure the welfare of your international students.
As an AEGIS member you must adhere to our Code of Practice
Code of Practice for guardianship
organisations and schools
- To promote best practice in the guardianship and hosting of international students at schools and colleges, particularly those under 18 years of age.
- To respect the rights, religion and customs of the international student.
- To uphold the stated ethos and values of the school at all times.
- To comply with the 1989 & 2004 Children Act and meet the requirements of the Department for Education Working Together to Safeguard Children March 2018 and Keeping Children Safe in Education September 2019.
- To comply with the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 and/or Children (Private Arrangements for Fostering) Regulations 2005.
- To ensure all international students have 24-hour emergency contact with a responsible adult in the UK.
- To put in place arrangements which maintain appropriate contact with the international student, the overseas parents and guardianship family and to ensure all appropriate records are up to date.
- To provide both pastoral and educational support as outlined in any literature and agreements.
- To adhere to the AEGIS grievance procedures.
- To have appropriate insurance for guardianship arrangements and to comply with UK legislation.
- To ensure that the AEGIS annual membership fee is paid in a timely manner.
- To respect the business practices of others and uphold strong business ethics.
- Member guardianship organisations to be prepared to undergo re-inspection every four years.